Ok, so I kinda skipped Valentines Day and went straight on to the Oscars, but I promise to make up for my lack of holiday enthusiasm and heart shaped treats by posting a recipe this time! That's right, this Maple Bourbon Granola and Muscovado Clove Simple Syrup was so good it would be a crime to withhold the how-to from my lovely readers.
So back to the Oscars...I usually don't get that excited for award shows, but this year I got invited to an Oscar party, so I have little golden men on the brain, in a non-creepy way of course. The idea of dressing up and theming my food to Oscar nominated movies really excites me. Do I smell Black (and White) Swan Cookies, I think I do.
So maybe this granola recipe won't make it to the Oscar party, but it was so golden I couldn't help but give a nod to the Oscars. How gold you might ask? Or you might not ask, but I'll tell you anyways. So picture this... the scene opens on a perfectly golden brown mix of oats, cashews and almonds that have been tossed in pure golden maple syrup and muscovado sugar coming straight out of the oven. A beautiful young starlet tosses in some golden raisins and banana chips and douses the whole lot of it with a couple shots of sweet golden Bullet Bourbon. *The audience gasps!* But wait, the shot fades into a scene taking place over the stovetop where rich golden muscovado sugar is being made into a simple syrup, picking up subtle hints of the cloves that have been a faithful companion to the sugar as it reduces. The film finishes with the young starlet generously pouring the granola onto some plain greek yogurt and then delicately drizzling the simple syrup all over it. She devours it all. The end.
That's pretty golden right? So before you see The King's Speech, Black Swan or even Toy Story 3, give this granola a shot. I promise it will provide you with the strength and energy to withstand the emotional roller-coaster all 3 films will take you on.
Maple Bourbon Granola
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup cashews, low or unsalted
- 1/4 cup (plus some to taste) packed muscovado sugar
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup dried banana chips chopped
- 3 tbsp bourbon
- Preheat the oven to 250
- Combine the oats, almonds, cashews, sugar and maple syrup in a large bowl.
- Spread your mixture between two baking sheets and put them both in the oven for 30 minutes turning the mixture over every 15 minutes with a spatula to ensure even browning.
- At the 30 min mark, turn the heat down to 225 and bake the mixture for 30 more minutes, or until a deep golden color is achieved, turning the mixture over every 15 minutes like before.
- Transfer the granola to one big bowl. Add the raisins and banana chips and mix to combine. Then pour each shot of bourbon over the mixture, mixing after each shot.
- Let the granola cool and dry, then store in a ziploc or tupperware.
Muscovado Clove Simple Syrup
- 1 cup packed muscovado sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 6-7 cloves
- Heat all the ingredients together over medium low heat until all the sugar has dissolved and the mixture thickens.
- Take it off the heat, take out the cloves and store it in a airtight jar at room temp.
Eating: Pour the granola over some plain yogurt, like greek yogurt, and drizzle the simple syrup all over it and devour.