Saturday, March 20, 2010

What You Should Eat Before You Die

According to LA Weekly's article 99 Things to Eat in L.A. Before You Die, Bob's Donuts at the Original Famrer's Market in West Hollywood is just that, a must eat to rest in peace.


So me, my husband and my mother and father in-law sat down at a cold metal food court table on a late Thursday morning to give Bob's a shot. Jonathan Gold, the author of the list,  advises ordering the plain donut, which we tried to an extent, ours was just covered in crumbs. It was pretty darn good. We even ordered a chocolate glaze, which was even better! Great in fact! But I have always been a sucker for donuts with a crispy outside and a soft middle, like old fashions or fritters, so of course I ordered an apple fritter too.


This was by far the better donut! (I know I've blogged on apple fritters before, but I am convinced that to not blog about every good apple fritter I eat would be doing my audience an injustice, so here we go again) It was just perfect. It had a super crunchy outside covered in a dark caramelized glaze that gave it that great "lightly burned sugar" flavor. The inside was so moist, some fritters can be very dry, and the apple filling was the cherry on the top, or should I just say apple in the middle? I highly recommend that you stop by and indulge in one next time you're at the Farmer's Market or even just in the area. You won't be disappointed.


So Jonathan I agree with your inclusion of Bob's Donuts on your list, however any person in their right mind would choose the apple fritter over the plain donut before they kicked the bucket. But don't worry Jon, you still have time, just like Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman did.

No comments:

Post a Comment