St. Patrick's Day has come! Traditionally we will all put on something green, pinch those who don't, listen to the Drop Kick Murphys, have corn beef cabbage and possible have a Guinness or some Irish whiskey (if you're over 21 of course). Unfortunately, I only enjoy one of these traditions.... wearing green. It brings out the color in me' eyes :)
I thought this year I would try to incorporate more of the Irish spirit into my St. Patrick's Day, so I decided that whiskey wouldn't be so bad if I put it in cake! In fact, it turns out that it is actually very delicious in cake. It is so moist and the butter whiskey glaze I made to go with it is TO DIE FOR! Not to mention it's green, so if you eat it and leave it all over your face, like I tend to, no one will pinch you!
So follow this rainbow to a pot of gold recipe for Irish Whiskey Cake!
Irish Whiskey Cake
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) box on instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 C oil
- 1 C whole milk
- 2 ounces whiskey
- 1 C chopped praline pecans (be generous with it if you like more nuts)
- 1/2 C melted butter
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C whiskey
Directions (So Easy!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and grease a bundt cake pan.
2. Combine all the cake ingredients, accept for the pecans, and mix by hand with a whisk for 3 minutes.
3. Add the chopped pecans and mix to incorporate.
4. Pour half of the batter into a separate bowl and add green food coloring to only that bowl until you reach you desired shade of green.
5. Take turns pouring the different colored batters into the pan, about 1/4 C at a time. Then take a small knife and make a swirling motion throughout the batter to create a marble effect.
6. Pop it in the oven for 38-40 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool the cake for 25 min.
7. For the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a small pot and heat the mixture on the stove, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved, about 2-3 min.
8. While still in the pan, poke the cake all over with one of those really long toothpicks. Pour 3/4 of the glaze over the cake and let set for 15 min.
9. Then invert the cake onto a plate so it's right side up and brush the exterior with the remaining glaze.
Warning: Cake has been known to put hair on ye' chest, male and female.