Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Finest (red) Velvet


As I mentioned in my previous red velvet post, I like red velvet cake but I'm not crazy about it like some people (you know who I'm talking about).  However, I met a red velvet cake last week that drove me absolutely mad! In fact, I would assert that it is the best red velvet cake I have ever had. 


No, it is not from Sprinkles or even Auntie Em's who is famed for their red velvet cake, my mom made it! It gets even better, she just found the recipe in a drawer! Originally it had been acquired from a recipe exchange years ago but had not been pulled out in a long long time. 


So thanks phantom recipe giver, this is by far the moistest red velvet cake with the richest creamiest cream cheese frosting I have ever tasted! I guess now I have to start saying that I loooove red velvet!


Red Velvet Cake


Cake Ingredients

  • 2 1/2 c flour
  • 1 1/2 c sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 c vegetable oil
  • 1 c buttermilk
  • 1 ounce red food coloring
  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
  • 2 boxes of powdered sugar
  • 2 8 oz packages of cream cheese
  • 1/4 c butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Cake Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 and prepare (3) 8 inch round cake pans by coating them with butter and then with flour.

2. Whisk dry ingredients together.

3. Whisk wet ingredients together then combine with the dry and evenly distribute the batter to the 3 baking pans; bake for 25-30 or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Frosting Ingredients

1. Beat all the ingredients together with a paddle attachment or hand beater.

2. Spread the frosting evenly between the layers, about 1/4 inch, then all over the top and sides of the cake. Make sure and use all of it, the frosting makes it fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment