Monday, February 1, 2010

Klutz-y Kookies


I would say the majority of 20-somethings owe some life skill or talent to the Klutz book series. Whether it's juggling, telling jokes, making dollar bill frogs or in my case baking. I'm not saying I owe all I know to my Klutz "Very Slightly Messy Manual" but it definitely sparked my interest and passion for baking at a young age, just as you probably didn't learn how construct a money Empire State Building from your first Klutz book but I'm sure you wouldn't be at that point without it's inspiration and direction.

So you can only imagine my nostalgic giddiness when I came across my old Klutz cookbook in my Mom's house last weekend. Needless to say I was immediately compelled to try one of the recipe's I had made many years ago.

I landed on this one.... 
How awesome is this ingredient list! I wish my grown up cook books had visual ingredient aids!

I couldn't remember how these cookies tasted 12 years ago, but I do remember making them and loving that the title encouraged me to eat the dough! So here we go for round two of Darrell's "Forget-the-Cookies-Just-Give-Me-the-Batter" Chocolate Chip Cookies. I did add a couple grown up twists like browning the butter instead of just melting it, using bittersweet chocolate chips and adding a little more salt, but it just made the cookie dough even more irresistible. 
Darrell's "Forget-the-Cookies-Just-Give-Me-the-Batter" Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients:
Sorry, no illustrations in my list
1/2 butter
1/2 brown sugar
1/2 sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/8 C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Bittersweet chocolate chips to your taste (I like lots!)

Darrell's "Forget-the-Cookies-Just-Give-Me-the-Batter" Chocolate Chip Cookies Directions:
1. In a small pan, brown the butter.

This is what brown butter should look like. Golden with brown sediment. It should smell nutty when it's done browning.

2. Transfer the butter to a small bowl and mix in both the sugars while it's still hot, set aside to cool.

3. Mix the flour, salt & baking soda together in a medium bowl.

4. In another small bowl beat the egg and vanilla together. Add the egg mixture to the butter mixture and beat to combine and dissolve sugar.

5. Add the mixture from #4 to the flour mixture and stir to combine. Add in chocolate chips and stir to combine. Refrigerate the dough for an hour before baking, but make sure to munch on some as well!

Look at this gorgeous dough!

You really do just want to forget about the cookies and devour the dough. Do I smell a slumber party and 10 Things I hate About You to accompany it?

6. Preheat the oven to 375. Roll balls of cookie dough the size of large walnuts and bake them on an ungreased cookie sheet for 8-10 min. Then enjoy!

Turns out the cookies are just about as good as the dough. For a kids cook book these are some pretty fantastic chocolate chip cookies!

2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness - I totally own that cookbook (and measuring spoons!) and made those cookies so many times growing up!! makes me wonder if my mom still has it at home. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I remember loving to make the homemade play-dough and eggs is a hole

    ReplyDelete