Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice... and Apples!



My mom always told me that's what I was made of, I don't know about you. My guess is probably not, because I am pretty darn special. But one thing is for sure, the Cheaters Apple Spice Cupcakes my friend Chloe brought to my dinner party were definitely made out of sugar, spice and everything nice ... and apples. The everything nice part being that they are super easy to make (thus the name Cheater) and super delicious. Who knows, maybe after you have one you will be pretty darn special yourself.

PS: My post must be read with a sarcastic tone

Cupcakes
Ingredients:
1 box Spice Cake Mix

Prepare as directed, substituting chunky apple sauce for the oil and milk for the water.


Cream Cheese Frosting: from MarthaStewart.com
Ingredients:
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Beat butter and cream cheese with a mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, and then vanilla; mix until smooth. Frosting can be refrigerated for up to 3 days; before using, bring to room temperature, and beat until smooth.

Optional Candied Pecans for the top
Ingrediants:
sugar
water
pecan halves

Add equal parts sugar and water to a pot. (I used 1 cup each.) Add pecans. Simmer for about six minutes. Drain syrup off.
In a deep fryer at about 375 degrees add pecans to oil. Heat for about 30 seconds to a minute or until frying noise stops. Be careful. The first attempt I made with these, I burned my pecans to a crisp. I guess my oil was too hot.
Lay on parchment paper lined tray and cool slightly.
Sprinkle some extra sugar on top to make them prettier.
Allow to dry completely.

1 comment:

  1. awe yay! :) i'm glad you enjoyed these...they did turn out good if i do say so myself!

    ReplyDelete