Saturday, March 3, 2012

Allergy Free Fleur De Sel Brownies!



Though I am lactose intolerant, I admit that I have no clue how hard it is to have constricting food allergies because there has never been a slice of pizza or scoop of ice cream I have not shoved in my face for fear consequences. At the most, I experience a little discomfort... as does my husband, but that's about it. 

I am ashamed to say I use to scoff at gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free eaters, writing their allergies off as a psychological issue or as their way to buy into a new trend without the recompense of looking like a band wagoner. Kinda harsh, huh? Well I apologize. And as my apology I offer to all of you (not just the special diet readers) a delicious recipe for Fleur De Sel Brownies completely free of any gluten, refined sugar or dairy! And I must say, they are pretty freakin' good brownies, not just pretty freakin' good gluten, dairy, refined sugar-free brownies! 

I mean it when I say every kind of eater will enjoy these.

Oh, and sorry vegans, there are eggs in this recipe. I haven't quite bought into your convictions yet.

Allergy Free Fluer De Sel Brownies

Ingredients
1/3 cup + 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
1 cup light brown sugar (not packed)
1/2 cup almond meal (you can find this at Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup rice flour (you can find this at any Asian Market)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 organic free-range eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon bourbon vanilla
fleur de sel for topping


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line an 8x6 (or 8x8 if you don't have an 8x6) -inch square baking pan with foil and lightly grease the bottom.


2. In a mixing bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, brown sugar, almond meal, rice flour, salt and baking soda. 


3. Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan over low heat, gently stirring. (Or melt in a microwave safe measuring cup.) 


4. Make a well in the center and add the beaten eggs, vanilla extract and melted coconut oil. Whisk for two minutes, until the batter begins to come together. If the coconut oil solidfies again, heat the whole mixture over LOW heat until it melts again and everything is incorporated.


5. Transfer the batter to your prepared baking dish and sprinkle the top with sea salt.


6. Bake for 22-27 minutes, or until the brownies are set. The top will crack, like a flourless chocolate cake.


7. Cool on a wire rack; and remove the cooled brownies from the pan by gripping the foil edges and lifting the brownies out as a whole. Chill for 30 minute before cutting. (Though warm and gooey is really divine, if you don't mind them falling apart.) Serve at room temp.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I made these brownies for dessert tonight for a friend and her husband that are gluten-free, and they were a huge hit!! They were seriously so delicious, both Nile and I loved them and he said he would never have known they were gluten/dairy free had I not told him. Great recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Glad you liked them! I was surprised I liked them too, because I am a little bit of a purist when it comes to baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can these b made sugar free?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just found out that i'm glute intolerant and this is the best recipe for brownies ive seen! thanks for the post! is it possible to make them sugar free? with xylitol or stevia? i know that sgar is important to hold the structure of the brownie so do you think it will work?

    ReplyDelete