Thursday, March 11, 2010

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

In a nut shell, I hate to waste food but I also hate to keep food I know will just sit in the fridge and end up looking like this...


So naturally I was hesitant to buy a container of ricotta cheese, which I needed just a little of for a dinner recipe, because I knew it would kill me to throw it out but it would also kill me to keep it. 

Luckily I came across 2 other recipes I could use the ricotta cheese in; one of which I can not write about, although it was delicious, because crustless quiche is savory and not sweet and sassy and one of which I will chronicle here... Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. 

These aren't your average pancakes, although the may appear as such. They actually remind me a little of brioche since they are denser than a regular pancake. However, ricotta cheese is actually quite light and the refreshing citrus taste of the lemon zest lightens the whole dish and makes it a very enjoyable breakfast. Even my husband liked them, and he usually doesn't like pancakes, unless I make them with bacon in the batter of course. 


So take a chance on a container of ricotta. I'll even give you some recipe suggestions so your not stuck with a self-contained ecosystem of cheese and mold.






Ricotta Recipe Suggestions

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes (serves 2-3)
*adapted from Smitten Kitchen

Ingredients:
  • 4 Large Eggs Separated
  • 1 1/3 C Ricotta
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp Freshly Grated Lemon Zest
  • 1/2 C Flour
Directions:
1. Whisk the egg yolks, ricotta, sugar, and the zest together in a bowl. Add the flour and stir until just combined.

2. In a bowl with an electric mixer, or with the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they holds stiff peaks. 

3. Mix in 1/3 of the egg whites into the ricotta mixture. Fold in the remaining egg whites gently until just combined. 

4. Melt some butter on the griddle.... you know what if you don't know how to make pancakes from here you should be embarrassed. 

5. Enjoy with syrup, like us, or I was thinking some lemon curd and honey would be good on top. But then you've gotten yourself back into the same dilemma... What else do I use my lemon curd for?


I must warn you though, these pancakes produce more dirty dishes than the normal ones.

Buzzkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment