Halloween is just around the corner, are you prepared? Have you gone Targeting and stocked up on mini candy bar assortment, nerds and candy corn? Do you know what you are going to be yet? Have you thought about what you might serve your party guests or children? No?! Goodness me, you need to get on that! Well, maybe I can help you out a little with a simple themed party treat that will make both kids and adults smile and possibly fly! My Peter Pan Puppy Chow, made with real Peter Pan Peanut Butter (and a little bit of pixie dust).
I had to make a sign :)
You see, it's appropriate because my husband and I dressed up as Peter and Wendy for a murder mystery party, but regardless of your costume, I think it's fun to have imaginative food for Halloween.
But what is Puppy Chow? (No, it's not what you feed Fido every night) You might know this frighteningly addictive snack as Muddy Buddies, but basically it's Chex cereal, chocolate, peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar. And in this recipe, I near doubled most things to make it extra ghoulishly good! And with the addition of pixie dust, as I mentioned before, you could be flying by the end of the night, which is always a plus. I mean who in their right mind would not want to fly??
- 9 c Chex rice cereal
- 1 1/2 c + 1/3 c semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 c Peter Pan peanut butter
- 6 tbsp salted butter, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c powdered sugar
1. Measure out the Chex cereal into a large bowl.
2. Put the chocolate, peanut butter, and butter into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minutes. Stir and return to the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir again until smooth. If the mixture is not smooth, simply give it a little more micro time. Mix in the vanilla.
3. Pour the mixture over the Chex cereal and fold gently until evenly coated. Pour one half of the mix into a large gallon bag and the other half into another gallon bag. Add a cup of powdered sugar to each and shake, shake, shake until the cereal if evenly coated.
4. Line a baking sheet with wax paper and pour both bags out onto the sheet, breaking up any big clumps. Then its time for the pixie dust! Generously sprinkle the mixture with metallic sprinkles or even better edible glitter!
5. Place the baking sheet in the fridge at least 30 minutes. Take out when ready to serve. Take a bite, think of a happy thought and sing, "We can fly, we can fly, we can fly!"